Friday, September 18, 2009

Yo-Yo's...

Hoke collects many things...
one of these things are his yo-yo's
I sew many things...
some of these things are my yo-yo's...
fabric ones, that is.
For many years now I have had
a bag of scraps go with me on airplanes,
road trips, camping trips, watching the news, etc.
and have been making yo-yos.
Many years ago, for a boutique I made
vests, pillows, and a variety of other things
out of these little fun circles.
In May 2007 "Country Home" magazine,
there was an article about a shop keeper
in New Mexico that happened upon a
collection of these yo-yo's, only they
were rugs. It turns out that a lady
named Mary Richardson lived
in Chicago during the depression,
and she couldn't afford flowers, so she
took any fabric she could get and made
yo-yo's and sewed them on a backing
so they would be sturdier, and then sold
them, for 25-50 cents! to help support her
family. Well, back to Rose, she bought
a whole trunk full of these rugs at
an estate sale and took them to her
shop in Santa Fe.
A few years ago, on one of our Wyoming trips,
we stayed in Santa Fe and I got to
meet the shop keeper, Rose, and see
some of these great yo-yo rugs. She was
delightful and so much enjoyed these rugs,
and I must say sold them for a FORTUNE!

Anyway, back to my yo-yo's, I started
sewing some together awhile back,
and have a coverlet large enough
now to fit the day bed in the Sunday House.
I will keep sewing until I have one to fit
our bed and then who knows...maybe onto rugs!!




2 comments:

  1. so way cool, Will you show me how ro make yo-yo's? I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have put me to shame with your blogging. You have inspired me--I'm going to do more. I love love the yo yo's--keep at it

    ReplyDelete